What is the Cardiff Commitment?
The Cardiff Commitment is a vision that the public, private and third sectors will work in partnership to connect children and young people to the vast range of opportunities available in the world of work.
Ultimately, the goal of the Cardiff Commitment is to ensure that all young people in the city eventually secure a job that enables them to reach their full potential whilst contributing to the economic growth of the city
For Young People and Schools
- Access to apprenticeships, traineeships, internships, volunteering and job opportunities
- Career exploration through events, career talks, work experience placements and workplace visits
- Preparation for seeking work, e.g. CV writing and interview techniques
- Mentoring and support
- Curriculum enrichment opportunities
- An opportunity to make a real difference to young people’s lives
- Demonstrates corporate social responsibility
- An effective way of building workforce capacity
- Brand awareness and business exposure to a younger generation
- Staff development opportunities
To date we have engaged with over 200 businesses, 120 who have pledged to support Cardiff Commitment and provide opportunities to schools and young people, better preparing them for the world of work.
The Cardiff Commitment sets out how the council, together with a wide range of public, private and third sector partners, will work together to ensure a positive destination for every young person in Cardiff after they finish school, either in employment or further education and training.
Open your eyes week
Open Your Eyes Week is an annual event held in primary schools in Cardiff designed to raise the children’s career aspirations as they prepare to move from primary to secondary school.
Throughout the week the pupils will hear from a wide range of businesses with the aim of igniting and inspiring interest in a wide range of occupations. Using links created through the Cardiff Commitment, Open Your Eyes Week will gradually see more businesses and organisations involved, visiting more schools and speaking to more children across the city.
How to Find Out More
If you would like further information about the Cardiff Commitment, to make a pledge to provide opportunities to schools and young people or to get involved in Open Your Eyes Week, please contact the Cardiff Commitment team:
Follow us on Twitter: @cdfcommitment
Share your opportunities and experiences: #cdfCommitment